Old Guys Gaming
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who want to be a billionare?

Forty

Really enjoy the server, excellent work by the Development team, well done! Have refrained from comment until I “donated” and logged over ~40 hours on “this” server, now that's well behind me, I'd like to share couple random thoughts:

- Meta-what? I really dislike "Meta-gaming" exceeding the boundaries of the game. Observed a couple of instances where folks get provisioned/compensated for poor planning (food/ammo) OR get teleported to a high loot event for loot collection OR get their recently rocketed vehicle replaced. Would like to see admin powers, etc. limited to true glitches not pandering to players poor planning/performance. They shouldn’t expect to recover their body if they choose to attack a mission 15 minutes before restart and get killed. DayZ Giveth and Taketh away… Players must accept occasional defeat, they may lose their “Tron” suit, Ifrit, or M107. I think it is unreasonable for Admins to be expected to replace these items if lost due to fate (not a glitch).

- Don’t attack Gorgons with a pistol – lol! If you want to kill ai armor it is appropriate to expect players to acquire the means and plan to do so. Have heard a lot of comments about ai being too hard. Honestly, I like the current settings and think they are perfect. Agree, it is extremely tuff to go lone wolf which alternatively encourages teamwork and planning. Folks shouldn’t be surprised when they get wacked when outnumbered 10 to 1 or taking on armor.

- Pimp my Ride! May consider limiting number of vehicles per player to mitigate number of objects on server to hopefully reduce lag. I would recommend 3 ground (which allows for repair, storage, travel), 2 air (lift, attack) MAX per player. In groups, I would lower ground and air vehicles by 1 each for each additional member, for example, a team of 2 could have 5 ground and 3 air, etc.

- Got tanks? Tread lightly… Heavy armor vehicles, are cool as hell, but arguably makes killing missions too easy – like “Free Gas”. Just listen to the guys who use them to dominate missions from 1k out. Yes, I know owning it is risky due to anit-armor but IMHO it really creates an imbalance. If you want to kill ai armor it is appropriate to expect players to acquire the means (launchers) and plan to do so. Guess would could all just play “World of Tanks”.

- Landlords a mean bastard… Would like to see the base "Rent" pushed to 14 days, 7 days is tight should I get bogged down with kids, work, afterschool activities, vacation, etc. Not sure I could stomach losing the hard work of base building because I was unable to log on for 7 consecutive days.

- Condominiums and retirement homes… To keep “object count” down, might want to incentivize folks who team up and share bases – only one base per group. Consider giving the group X number of Tabs every month they maintain their unity.

- Vehicles left unlocked in the "boonies" should be free for the taking unless marked on the map as owned, this will also help with reducing clutter. I’ve encountered countless unlocked/unmarked vehicles in the wilderness and told if they have the option to lock them then leave them alone.

- Building restrictions need to be more clearly defined; you can or cannot build in a city or military base, high loot spawn, etc. There is a lot of confusion and personal opinions/speculation. Many servers I DO NOT allow you to place a flag on or near permanent structures. If someone doesn’t want to build they can place a safe in a building but cannot limit its access to spawn items – simple to understand.

- Who wants to be a BILLIONARE??? The loot is plentiful, I thought this was a survival scenario yet I hear folks complaining about how hard it is to find loot, how often they have to eat, or how expensive a Tron suit is. Be careful what you ask for, the game loses its appeal pretty quick once you have everything. Spawn delays are not that long, gear is extremely easy to acquire, and you have to earn money to get the big toys just like real life. Guys in Tron suits get R.E.S.P.E.C.T cause they earned it, right?

Been looking for an ARMA III “HOME” for some time, I want to know that my investment (time) is rewarded with a quality gaming experience and assurance of longevity. Understand that enrollment/participation numbers is a critical aspect but suggest that quality of folks over quantity is most critical. Not envious of the challenges associated with a perfectly balanced script and appreciate the development teams hard work. Cheers!

I agree with all these things except the Ai part, i'm very glad they got toned down abit.

Specially the base limit and vehicle limit is a good idea. I've seen guys with 20/25+ vehicles at base. I know it nice to hoard alot of vehicles, cuz money is plentyfull, but this impacts the performance alot.

I like to change vehicle every few days.

High loot spawn isnt a real problem, lot of guys dont bother to loot anyway, they just go after missions and Ai for cash.

I really appreciate all your suggestions. It's great to get valuable feedback like this on the server. I'll try to address all your points one by one.

Meta-what? - Personally I agree with this. My first rule regarding this is admin utilities should normally be used if a player is glitched or if they lost something due to a server issue or glitch. That said there are times when an admin will do something nice as a show of appreciation to the players on the server. This is mostly left up to the discretion of the admin but if it does gets out of hand then go back to my first rule.

Don’t attack Gorgons with a pistol - Well not sure this needs addressing. People need to use common sense when tackling a mission. If it seems to hard then get some help.

Pimp my Ride! - I'm not sure that reducing the number of vehicles will significantly affect server lag. We have tried to limit vehicles before and it doesn't really work. Players always find ways around it. From what I have seen it more than likely the huge player built bases contributing to the lag rather than the vehicles.

Got Tanks? - This is a tricky one as tanks and other tracked vehicles are viewed as end game vehicles and should only be able to be acquired by the most faithful of players. That said I do agree that they shouldn't be used on missions. I'll talk it over with the other admins and see what the best way would be to combat this. If we institute a no tank rule at missions, which we can do, I'm not sure if we have the man power to enforce it. A lot of missions have mines in the mission area to combat the tanks but that works if they get within the mission area and would be detrimental to players if you were to put mines 1000m out.

Landlords a mean bastard - this has been changed to 14 days effectively the 4pm CST restart on 12/28/15

Condominiums and retirement homes - This is a good idea and I would encourage people that want to do this to try it. It won't work for those people that want there own base but for the ones that don't mind sharing it would be good. The single largest drain on the server right now are player bases.

Vehicles left unlocked - if you find a vehicle that has a code lock in the middle of nowhere have an admin look it up in the database. They can find out who left it and how long it has been there. Chances are if it was left in the boonies it was because the player died and they needed to get back to there body/vehicle. If it's been there a long time and/or the player doesn't want it anymore then it's free game as far as I'm concerned.

Building restrictions - No building in military or a city. Also do not want people to build or otherwise block off high loot spawn areas. I don't have problems players building on the broken buildings but would prefer they didn't build on to complete buildings. There is plenty of map to build on out there so it shouldn't be an issue of not being able to find a place to build on.

Who wants to be a BILLIONARE??? - Yeah loot is extremely easy to come by and no one should have any issues finding it.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Thanks for the great response and taking time to address my points, much appreciated!

Got Tanks? - Yea, understand this is tough and easily abused. The ai having anti-armor does a good job of balancing the equation, most of the time.

Landlords a mean bastard - this has been changed to 14 days effectively the 4pm CST restart on 12/28/15 - AWESOME! Thank you!

Condominiums and retirement homes - "The single largest drain on the server right now are player bases." Bases... Maybe you can get folks to tone down the bases a bit if they are told how it impacts the server - many people just don't know.

Vehicles left unlocked - rather than constantly burden the admins with looking into each vehicle... shouldn't marking the map be sufficient if the player chooses not to lock it?

Appreciate all! Time to game!