Old Guys Gaming
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Arma 3 Server let's hear your ideas

Troublesim

Taviana could be a good choice for map. Taviana 3.0 has three islands with several big cities and a lot of content to explore. If you have two completely different type of themes (maps) with the same idea (the mods and scripts that you use on Altis) it would probably bring in new players and it could save you some work too? What do you think?

I'm new here and I understand if you'd rather listen to the guys who have been here from the start. That's fine!

spent a pretty good deal of time talking with ruin about this yesterday..  here's my thoughts.

tanoa, all-be-it a great map, will eliminate some of your already existent player-base.  you have a LOT of people on the regular A3 server who haven't had the opportunity or affordability to purchase the Apex DLC.  

there's 27 maps between epoch and exile that are free via A3Launcher or Armaholic, my suggestion would be to use one of those just so it's available to everyone who's interested in playing.  there's also a TON of content available in both to make the server unique.  

my suggestion would be something along these lines:

a map of your choice that stresses apocalyptic survival, and yes...  there's zombies. (there's other mods aside from ryan's z&d...  zombies shouldn't be able to flip over cars or chase after you with usain bolt speed.)   players start with absolutely nothing... (think rick grimes in TWD)  free-spawning world loot, but nothing extremely crazy like military weapons, those will have to be earned through missions.  (example: an AI weapons cache in a building that has to be raided floor by floor, which will stress tactics and teamwork.)  there are no tanks, no artillery cannons, minimal aircraft, etc...  let's face it, the only people rolling around in armed striders during the apocalypse would more than likely be military.  vehicles like that should be EXTREMELY difficult to come by, if at all.  a crafting system similar to either epoch or exile, so players can build their own base/items through work or through missions. (example: AI are manufacturing concrete/wood parts for themselves, giving you the opportunity to steal them..  AI are manufacturing ammunition, giving you the chance to steal it.)  to an extreme angle, the server could be made semi PvP/RP, which would give players the opportunity to choose survivor or OpFOR. (this is just an idea, as i'm a fan of PvE..  but this may enable the whole idea of whitelisting the server.)  many of the scripts are already available, but would require some tweaks to get them where we want them.

these are just a few of the ideas i bounced off of ruin in the hour or so long convo we had yesterday in TS.  if you'd like to hear more, feel free to find me in the TS...  i'll be happy to explain further.  

- Johnny

You could make a pvp/pve server. Inside military zone walls and in specific designated/created zones pvp will be allowed. Outside those zones it would be strictly pve. This would actually add balance to the game as it would be a risk vs reward situation entering such zones. Start with nothing but a compass and maybe a bottle of water. More spawn/drop locations. Please no magical ATV/bike spawning. Items should be well balanced. For example, a TWS is a very very over powered accessory, how about making it a reputation buy? Make acquiring vehicles difficult, but making armed vehicles even more so. If this is the apocalypse, food should be expensive and harder to find/scavenge/buy. Something like a watercooler should be a rep buy. Building materials other than wood should be a challenge to acquire, but not impossible. Missions should be a good way to acquire these materials. Certain Weapons and accessories(Nightstalker, LRPS, 12.7mm Lynx, Nightvision, Protective equipment etc etc) should be very expensive to purchase, where as something like a sting 9mm should be fairly cheap, but lets not forget that this is a SHTF situation so everything is going to have a price. Lets not just give things away. I'm not a big fan of zombies unless they are slower and aren't spawned in gobs every 2 minutes inside a particular zone. Acquiring things like a Tank should be next to impossible to acquire but cost a stupid amount of rep as well as a stupid amount of tabs.

Not only should the items in the game be balanced, but the environment needs to be balanced as well. I believe that roaming AI should be dangerous. It would give people an incentive to save up for launchers and use them more often as hiding in your hunters or striders would just be foolish and less likely since attaining an armed vehicle would be very expensive. I like the Idea of a very low chance of a Gorgon spawning, but higher chances of jeeps, urals, hemmts, offroads being the higher percentage spawns. Have to have BTRs and Marshalls spawning in as well. If you don't feel like it is going to be dangerous to go outside of a safe zone then the environment is dull and stale. I do like the idea of roaming AI helicopters even with a small chance to spawn one with a rocket pod, but nothing with missile capabilities. Lower chance for town invasions to spawn as this will help with memory dumps. Statics should be for special events and usually disabled as they cause severe memory issues.

The AI should be dangerous up close and aggressive from any distance. They should have a tough time acquiring targets from longer ranges if at all passed a certain range but be quick to acquire targets up close. No more 2nd shot head shots from 1200 meters away. If you made it very difficult to acquire the tools to snipe with the ammunition being very expensive it would keep the game balanced.

The AI should not spawn with any kind of target locking explosives, they should be LOS(line of sight) launchers, but X-8's idea for mines inside town invasions was a good one. I think that is enough for now, I'll add more to this later.

I like what the server is doing currently, but I can totally see opportunities to increase difficulty a little bit. Some ideas (which to be fair, haven't really been thought through very well by me):

* Zombies... and not the crazy kind.... maybe just small groups of wandering Zombies that only respond to sound and line of sight to hassle you a bit. Give you something to shoot at every once in awhile and make you keep your guard up a little.

* More AI. Missions are cool, and can be difficult just starting out. I'd like to see random AI encounters outside of missions along supply routes, cities, military bases etc. Nothing crazy. Maybe a patrol (2 or 3 AI with light weapons and maybe a light vehicle that isn't worth much and must be traded before server reset or it disappears). Anyway, again, just enough to force you to keep your guard up (like Zombies).

* Limited PVP. Only in designated areas on dedicated missions. Make players choose a side and have a small skirmish. Not a free for all gun battle, but a legit "match", completely optional to attend, with limits on weapons and vehicles. In fact, take vehicles out of the equation all together. Make it a battle over a town and to the victors, special loot or incentive of some kind.)

I'm new here, so I'm happy with the way it is for now. But the ideas above could be interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

i think that what the server needs is more zombies like huge hordes like you need to.run your ass off to get to safety... cause the few hordes i encountered are like 20 and thats ir, i mean hordes of maybe 50 or 60, and spawn near loot areas like military bases that has only one entry and one exit, so you can choose to enter with the risk of getting traped, hope you understand a word i just said, damn my spell is awful