Old Guys Gaming
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Admin Caution - Superhero or Referee?

Forty

Admin powers should be exercised with extreme caution, once an admin helps a player - THEY CAN'T DO ENOUGH! I believe persistent struggle is what makes the game appealing. Extreme wealth, mega bases and unlimited cash through "meta-gaming" lessens the appeal IMHO. When admins dawn their superhero cape to clear missions, hand out the rewards, replace lost vehicles (not due to glitches) there’s definitely instant gratification but the overall experience is arguably diminished. Admins are referees, they ensure gameplay is seamless, players are legit, and make the tough calls when needed. Admins should be encouraged to play the game and participate in missions as a “player” not a superhero. When issues arise, they leave the field, put on their admin clothes and become a referee.

For example, if a player shoots a tank with six AT missiles and can't kill it (glitch), an admin might disable it. If all the AI are killed on a mission and it fails to complete, an admin might investigate. Alternatively, admins shouldn't randomly clear or complete missions, that's the player’s job. They shouldn’t grossly accelerate player’s wealth accumulation or respect so they can buy tanks or build mega bases within hours of joining the server. Teamwork, mutual respect, skillful gameplay and hard work should be respective of player’s wealth and respect. Otherwise, let’ all start off with $1M of each and kick some AI ass, lol!

All good points, unfortunatly something that has been happening maybe too often the last few weeks. Admins clearing missions with GOD mode , then posting in chat "here is free loot" is not a fun way for me too play the game.

When people buy a vehicle , play with it for a few hrs then decide they dont like it and ask for a refund is also one of those thing that to say the least annoy me.

Certain all actions were taken with best interest to server not realizing second or third order effects. That's why we have a forum, to exchange information, correct? May prove beneficial to have a guide or rule book for admins reference. Could address things like:

- Teleportation, when appropriate, when not.

- Completing missions, admin assist when....?

- Replacing gear or vehicles, anomolies only not repeat glitches or bad luck.

- Base building, base moving?

- Tab/item compensation for items lost to PVP or glitches, etc.

Admin time can be better utilized deleting abandoned vics, mitigating player conflicts, enforcing rules like claiming/marking missions, etc. Additionally they could occassionally role play, for example SARGE's construction company can pack up your base if you choose to move it, the cost is $50k for level 1, $75k for level 2, etc. LT's recovery service can bring you fuel for a nominal fee; point is nothing is FREE, if you want it, it costs.

• Upvote 1

I like some of those points. Others I'm not sure how to implement fairly. We do have rules for admins. If you don't see them it is because you aren't an admin. We are contacting the whole team and clarifying the duties of admin on these servers. We will also work on a cleaned up version of "rules" that we are going to post for players so that they know when it is and isn't appropriate to contact the team for help. Out team does play actively for the most part. There are exceptions to that rule like X8, He usually is not playing the missions and when he does he turns off the tools. Also, there are logs on all the admins so that I can see who-dun-it. The admin team does not have access to that just the few who do the setup. This is so we can roll back through and see what happened and then discuss it. We strive to have a fair and fun experience for the community and we will resolve this ASAP. Thanks again!