Old Guys Gaming
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Helicopter Mode? Adv/Standard

Hu5ky

I have been learning to fly using the editor/multiplayer at home/lan server. When i try to fly in the server I am finding it harder to control the heli is there some settings on the server that are not the same as what I am aware of ?

We can run some missions tonight, earn some cash so you can get a cheapy.  We have a daily use cheap helo that won't bankrupt us when I crash it (like last night), and our emergency attack copter that I don't use much right now because I don't trust my flight skills and its costly to replace.

8 hours ago, Hu5ky said:

I have been learning to fly using the editor/multiplayer at home/lan server. When i try to fly in the server I am finding it harder to control the heli is there some settings on the server that are not the same as what I am aware of ?

Hu5ky,

Are you controlling your pitch and yaw with a joystick or the keyboard?  Regardless of which, some things to keep in mind are:

1) Fine adjustments will benefit you in the long run.  The heli will tend to respond better (since flying in 3rd person prevents you from really getting scope of how exactly your chopper is oriented, thus preventing you from making 10-20 micro-adjustments in the span of 15 seconds. 

2) Speed isn't your friend.  If you're coming into a LZ, for the sake of your life don't come in HOT.  Plan out your landing about 1.5km out, have your speed reduced to 50km/h by like 600-800m and start getting to that point to where you're almost at a standstill as you're descending to your target.

3) Flying in 1st person is difficult because you can't see targets on the ground easily, it does however provide you with a good idea of how you are oriented at any time.  Flying 3rd person is fantastic for target acquisition and figuring out where you're going next by ways of landmarks/clear areas to land.  Both have their benefits and drawbacks.

4) Some helicopters handle great and of course there are some that fly like a turd on a stick.   Taru's are very nimble and agile (believe it or not) whereas the Huron can be a little more pesky in its turning.  Sometimes a chopper will react to the physics of Arma and do some funny stuff like doing a 180 turn as you are pitched backwards (flying backward).  Single cockpit choppers can be quite nimble and fast but its easy to get shot out of said cockpit. 

I've probably left something out and haven't even touched on attack choppers but I hope this helps a little.   One good thing to invest in when you Kit out is the Spec Ops Mask so that you have Night vision, and infra red that can help you decipher threats/targets from a good distance away while at altitude in a pinch.

• Upvote 1

In general I was practicing with mouse keyboard cos I was impatient for this to arrive from Amazon:

91c6QbKhq7L._SL1500_.jpg

Been configuring this for the past few hrs - 20:00 to 22:50

So tomorrow (Saturday 28th April) I should be flying a bit better. Too old to be very dextrous with the keyboard+mouse :)

Edited by Hu5ky

Already found out the Joystick is TOOOOO BIG for my hands :(

Had to modify the hand rest so I didn't cause wrist problems ( modified by adding rollled up toilet roll paper held down by surgical tape ).

Mapping the keys has been a long process - so many buttons.

Edited by Hu5ky

Do I need to conduct a flight training session? I fly with mouse & keyboard.  The trick is to learn the characteristics of the heli you're piloting.  For precise movements such as take off and landing, I use keyboard only in 3rd person.  For fast flights to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible, I use keyboard for throttle and mouse for control and in 1st person.  Anyone who's seen me fly in server can tell you I generally travel at max speed.  I used to fly along coast road of Chernarus at around 320km/h at about 15m off the deck.  

FWIW, there's a way to keep the mouse from affecting your helicopter so you don't have to worry about it causing issues while learning.  Double tap left alt and you'll be in free-look mode.  In this mode, the mouse will just move the camera and not your control surfaces.  Q=throttle up, z=throttle down, wsad for directional, x and c for rotation while hovering.  

I recommend starting with heavier helicopters. They are slow to turn, therefore are easy to fine adjust. But the key is practice, practice, and practice. By practice, I mean do real missions with helicopters. You have to crash 10 to 20 helicopters to get started.