Old Guys Gaming
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I know I will loose my Heli !

Hu5ky

New Heli Pilot here.

Been practicing for ages in the singleplayer and editor so I can fly a Helicopter but in a live multiplayer server this will become costly - already crashed one heli that was from a mission (thanks LooKNouT).

Of course I am looking at a Lifting Heli ( Taru ) due to my first base I built being far away from the traders and towns etc.

Another reason is that I have poor PC so I often dont see the obstacles like rocks/fences/bushes when driving and hit them a lot so being able to airlift to/from a mission is the sensible method. Currently I have also been blown up several times by that Cessna at the airport :(
It seems every time i get a vehicle AI want to kill me even more!

So if you see Hu5ky ( Husky ) flying overhead beware.

I use this tag/name as I found that Husky is a popular name and there is always someone out there who knows a Husky but it isnt me - more often than not the other person thinks I am Russian (shrug)

Oh one small question do the AI often shoot down helis ?

"Duck"
"No it's a Husky"

Funny story: (Due to crashing into things I often go on foot to missions now but this attracts the Raiding Party so I dont often get to stop and take my time on missions)

Saw a crashed heli the other day and nearby was another heli so I assumed it was part of the mission thing but it turned out after fighting the AI it belonged to a player - middle of nowhere up in the NW hills.

Edited by Hu5ky

So in an answer to do AI shoot down Heli's.  

Yes they can, and will depending on the level of the AI.  As you get into the higher missions (Or even lowest level Static missions), the fire from static machine guns is deadly for Helicopters.  Even a few riflemen in a regular mission can take you down with a few well placed shots.  (AND yes, its completely likely that you will be shot out of the cockpit and your heli will be in flames on the ground).

Best course of action is to plan a safe landing zone ~1km away from target and get a good position on the mission on foot or with a strider that you're taking with you.

Need more money for strider :)

But this was very helpful thanks - I have been trying to google as much info as i can but what there is out there is very scant or written/videoed from a experienced players perspective so not much help for a total Arma noob - so far I have picked stuff up from watching lots of Youtube :)

So far I park 2km from the zone of action then hoof it around the area to get good positions - love sniping but many missions dont offer much greater than 1.7km 

Edited by Hu5ky

I can definitely confirm the ground AI, especially in regards to the Taru.  I was hit by guys attacking our base when I was returning from about 1k out and immediately lost power, luckily I was able to land it before it completely blew up but it was close.  

I suck too at flying, rolled our Orca yesterday trying to land on a hillside while taking ground fire :) I'll keep trying though.  I hadn't played Arma in over a year and completely rusty on flying, not to mention I can't seem to get my flight stick to work, gotta fix that. Flying with keyboard/mouse is rough.

So I'll keep an eye in the sky for you Hu5ky and you do the same for me :)

• 2 weeks later...

Talking from personal experience. AI can detect vehicles much further away (mostly 3km I think. But black market is way beyond that). And they will chase you if they have a vehicle (mostly chase you up to 3km).

I think most small helicopters are not armored. Even 5.56mm rifles can shoot out the pilot. You have to be really really careful when using little bird to attack missions (I've been killed like that once on a little bird). For armored helicopters, 50cals can still penetrate the window of the cockpit. Mi-24 Hind is the most armored helicopter I've flown in the game. The fuselage is bulletproof up to 50cal (you still take damage if get too close, but they can't shoot you down), and the window seems to be 50cal resistance. Which means it will only protect you for a few shots.

If AI has stationary titan, and they find you. They will shoot a whole bunch of missiles at you. I got AAs firing at me as far as about to 4km away. When looting a mission you finished, pay attention to whether it has stationary titans or not. Remember those who does, and be careful around them.